my blog

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Week 8
This week, we are focusing on the Cosmological argument and the Design argument. These arguments represent how one can think about religion from a philosophical perspective.
In your blog, I would like you to reflect more generally on what, if anything, you think philosophy might contribute to the understanding of religion. Think about i) whether you think these arguments might change someone's relgious convictions, and ii) whether there is anything about religious experience that is left out of these arguments (for example, some people might say that faith is important for religious conviction, yet of course faith has no role in philosophical argument).

I think that religion it in a very complex topic. I grew up in a catholic family going to catholic school and I was thought to never doubt the existence of God. I still don’t doubt and I think that’s my faith is bigger than the doubt, but as one grows up we are exposure to different experiences and different kinds of believes, and because of that we start to wonder what religion is all about. I think that we need to believe in something to be able to accept our existence on earth, and for me this “something” is God. I agree with some physicists and gastronomists that “A series of breakthroughs in physics and observational astronomy led to development of the Big Bang and the discovery that the Universe is highly structured, with precisely defined parameters such as age, mass, entropy…” But I believe that something much bigger than that made this whole process happened.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:31 AM, Blogger Professor Roger said…

    Perhaps, based on what yuo say here, faith is somethign that is immune to the kind of arguments one raises in philosophy. Perhaps it is true that we can always fit these into one perspective or another based on our deeper commitments.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home