my blog

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Week 6
Some philosophers, including John Searle, say that computers are not really intelligent. Rather, they just simulate intelligence. However, it could be argued that, just as computers are programmed to respond in different ways to different commands, so human beings are 'programmed' by society, and education, to perform certain tasks. For example, we are programmed to do complicated things like speak a language, as well as more simply things like brush our teeth.
What are your thoughts on this comparison? Is there any difference between the programming of computers, and the 'programming' of humans by society?

When I first read about this comparison I thought that it was a little extreme. How can you compare a computer to a human being? Plus a human being has the freedom to choose if they want to fallow the rules of society or not. But thinking about now I noticed that we are not that free. We have some choices in our lives that makes us think that we have the freedom to choose anything we want to do, but we can’t forget that we have some choices that are given to us giving us an illusion that we have the freedom that we actually don’t have because we have limits and bounds( I was reading a little about Spinoza). And I have to agree that God is the only “one” that can be free. Once that my approach to this comparison was freedom, based on this I think that I have to agree that we are just like the computers, more or less.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:40 AM, Blogger Professor Roger said…

    'we are just like the computers, more or less.'
    I can see why you reach this conclusion. Of course, the difficult thing is actually figuring out the 'more' and the 'less'.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home